If Google is going to be at the center of our digital and online lives, they need to get a lot better about their support organization and how they handle account issues. Check out this story by Mark Ghosh for an example of what happens when things go wrong. What if you woke up tomorrow and your Gmail, Orkut, Docs, Reader, Google Checkout account was gone?
Asleep at the Wheel of Creative Destruction. Umair Haque’s thoughts on venture capital and the current crisis.
Dear MobileMe / Me.com, I really think you’re swell. I’ve been dreaming dreams of sync since my first Handspring, and you are the best I’ve used. Two things would put you over the top. First, the notes application on the iPhone is handy, but please sync this to a quickie app on Me.com so I can put stuff in and out of notes easily. Second, and this is a stretch, I know you don’t like to-do applications, but I also have an inkling you could do something that would make me stop using paper and pen for to-dos. And synchronize it. With love, Matt.
This month there were three WordCamps around the world: WordCamp Las Vegas, WordCamp Indonesia, and WordCamp Whistler. Here’s what’s coming up in the next two months. Asterisks indicate WordCamps I’ll be attending:
- WordCamp Higher Ed NorthEast – February 2, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
- WordCamp Paris * – February 7, Paris, France
- WordCamp Germany * – February 14, Jena, Germany
- WordCamp Education Vancouver – February 19, Vancouver, Canada
- WordCamp India * – February 21-22, New Delhi, India
- WordCamp Miami – February 22, Miami, Florida, USA
- WordCamp Denver * – February 28, Denver, Colorado, USA
- WordCamp NOLA – March 18-19, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
WordPress.org plugin directory just reached its 4,000th plugin! I declare January 28th our official “Thank a Plugin Developer” day. To celebrate take a look at the plugins you use and love, visit the author’s site, find their contact form, and drop them a note. (Or Paypal!)
WordPress creator Mullenweg is many bloggers’ best friend – USATODAY.com. We got some nice press in USA Today in an article by Jefferson Graham, pick up a dead tree copy today if you can to check out the article.