How to ping Ping-o-Matic in Movable Type. Nice looking blog too.
JournURL is auto-pinging the Ping-o-Matic RPC interface by default. Awesome, and should result in much faster service for JournURL users.
Even better the upgrade of the site to the new version is now complete. It took all of 30 seconds to do. Only well written software can make things that easy.”
Brad Froehle » Switch to WordPress
“Let me tell you that right now it’s the slickest thing I’ve used.”
Zen, and the Art of Blogging » Upgraded to WordPress 1.2. “That’s right, they’re making it even easier for you to switch from your old blog software to WordPress.”
This review could be in a good magazine it’s so thorough and surprisingly insightful for someone who has only been using WordPress for a bit. Not distributing language files was actually on purpose. Once more translatations are published and checked we’ll include a few of the most popular with the distribution and make the rest available for download. I’m always annoyed when I download a package where the language files are bigger than hte app itself, and I’m going to use one.
Favorite PHP Editor, I realized again today that I have Dreamweaver open more than Thunderbird. It works, but it often feels clunky or like I’m fighting the program. I’m going to check out a few of the options from this thread.
Tim Bray on Vonage. I’ve been happy with my Vonage phone, which I’ve had since around December. The only problem is it seems to have to go in front of my router, and the double NAT makes a lot of things tricky. Also my box is really tiny, not sure why he says they have to get smaller.
My experiences writing Joel on Software, a post from 2000 when Joel was using Manilla to run his weblog. Replies from Brent Simmons, Wesley Felter, and Dave Winer.
Matthew Thomas » Interface design in WordPress 1.2. If you think the new options are nice, wait to you see some of the other stuff mpt is bugging me to do. 🙂 We’re very lucky to have this guy around. Don’t believe anyone who tells you UI is easy. Matthew spent a lot of time designing everything and it took me an order of magnitude longer than I expected to implement most of it. (The last 10% will take even longer.)
intraordinary » yes, it’s about time. “We’ve added so much stuff, it’s almost like a 2.0 version, except that your 1.0 templates should still work.”
Good Blimey! WordPress 1.2 Final Released.
“I’ve just now updated Good Blimey to the final version, and it was easy and quick. The past few days I’ve been messing around in WordPress has left me nothing but impressed and sad that I didn’t install it earlier.”
Neowin.net -> Comparative: WordPress versus Movable Type. Fair and balanced, and it made the front page of Neowin.
WordPress 1.2 is available. I’m at a loss for words at the moment, so I’ll just quote the features list:
- Sub-categories: Categories can be arranged hierarchically and infinitely deep. Multiple categories combined with sub-categories gives WordPress the most comprehensive taxonomy system of any blogging software available.
- OPML Export and Import: You can import and export OPML to systems like Bloglines or desktop aggregators like NetNewsWire and FeedDemon.
- Automatic Thumbnail Creation System: WordPress has a refined upload feature that automatically creates thumbnails any size you want.
- Encrypted passwords and cookies: All passwords in the database and password cookies are encrypted, ensuring maximal security.
- New plugin architecture: The new plugin architecture simplifies modifying or extending WordPress’ features. Plugins can now hook into nearly every action WordPress does.
- Localization of WordPress and Unicode support: The efforts put into internationalizing WordPress have borne fruit, and now you can adapt WordPRess to work in your native language. Several translations are already available.
- Advanced comment moderation: You can now fine-tune your moderation filters in a manner very similar to blacklists for other weblog tools. There is also mass-editing of comments, which makes it a snap to delete hundreds of comments with the click of a button, if necessary.
- Post preview: Near-instant previews while writing or editing articles help you proofread and make improvements before finally presenting your work of art to the world.
- RSS and LiveJournal Importers: The new RSS import script is the closest thing to an universal importer. It allows you to import entries from Radio weblogs even other blogging tools that we may not support specifically. The LiveJournal importer finally lets you have a full blooded self-hosted weblog without losing all your old LiveJournal posts.
- Unlimited update services: Now you can define multiple weblog change monitoring services to be pinged when you post.
- Directory flexbility: Now you can have all the WordPress files in one directory and the weblog in a higher level directory.
Hixie’s Natural Log: Web Applications and Compound Documents, IMHO. Like Hixie ever has a humble opinion. 😉