Now that we’re now 10 days into the release of version 2.6 of WordPress, it’d be interesting to look at a few of the numbers around it.
- There have been around 23 thousand downloads per day. (Of just the English version.)
- According to the update system there are 201 thousand blogs using 2.6 already.
- That’s about 9% of all known WordPress.org blogs in 10 days.
- The video in the announcement post has been viewed 665,080 times.
- There have been over 300 themes submitted to the new Theme directory, which launched just 6 days ago.
- In the same period (10 days) there were 579,871 downloads of 2,527 plugins.
I imagine 2.6 adoption will pick up after the 2.6.1 release — a lot of people wait for the .1 before upgrading.
How are we celebrating? By working on 2.7!
It should be a fun release both for the features we have planned and also because it might incorporate some of the aspects of Crazyhorse, our experimental bizarro world dev branch which we’re laser-eye-testing in NYC next week. (700 blogs are running 2.7 already.)